Saturday, June 30, 2018

So Many Nymphs

There's not much to say about the backyard today. I didn't find a lot of bugs (other than bees on milkweed. A lot of bees). I don't know why. I wasn't even sure I had anything for a Backyard Bug of the Day, but I was able to choose something.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Tiny assassin bug nymph

Some of the tubes in the mason bee house are showing signs of occupation, and I saw a wasp with a HUGE ovipositor crawl into one (I didn't see her come out), and I happened to catch the moment one came out:

The caterpillar I have been watching every day finished eating all of the flowers off of this plant (this is just one stem of it):
 I looked all over the plant and could not find it...

 ... because it had moved on to another plant, and has started eating those flowers. I did try to look this up today, and did not come up with an id. The closest guess is the asteroid caterpillar, but the coloring is nothing like the book. The book does say that the colors vary, but does not describe this coloring. So I don't know. Can you spot the aphid as well?


 Derbid planthopper, Ceduca maculata, perhaps.

 Stinkbug nymph

 Check out the rabbit's neck...

 Engorged ticks. Yuck.

 Bumblebee and honey bee on milkweed

 Some kind of hopper nymph and a springtail

 Hopper nymphs

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 This spider has been sitting on this leaf for over a month.

 

Velvet mite

No comments:

Post a Comment