Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Independent Bugs

Today is Independence Day in the United States, a national holiday, but the bugs don't take the day off, so I didn't, either. I was glad I got up early enough to do a bug walk before heading out for the festivities today, because there were a LOT of bugs to be found, and they were so cooperative! And not the same things I have been seeing pretty much every day lately. And that includes today's Backyard Bug of the Day, which is a new species for me.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I think this is some kind of sphinx moth, but it doesn't match anything in the book. However, it might be young, and will develop different colors and a more prominent pattern. Hopefully I will be able to keep an eye on it for a while.


 Not a stinger. No one knows that these spikes are for.

Other Bugs:
Assassin bug nymph

 Moth

 
 Robber flies look like something out of a post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie.



 Buffalo tree hopper discarded exoskeleton

Thick headed flies


 Flower fly

 Plant bug

 Lady beetle larva. I am not sure that was a great place to pupate, given the ephemeral quality of blooms, but what do I know?

 Squash bug


 Katydid nymph

 Bees–bumble and honey

 Lady bee
 I think this is a candy striped leaf hopper nymoh

 Great spangled frittiliary. No, the picture is not upside down.

 Fly

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment