Monday, July 16, 2018

Look Closely

It's funny how often I don't see things when I am looking through my camera. It happens quite a bit that while I am taking a picture of one bug I fail to notice another elsewhere in the picture. When I am focusing my camera I am very focused on one thing, and will often miss a little detail on the edge of things. Today's version of that is a little bit extreme, though:
 As it turns out, there are three baby robins in the nest. I have only ever noticed two, even when I took this picture that shows there are three.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Some kind of Hemiptera nymph. I don't know what it is, but it's kind of intriguing.


It was extremely hot and humid today, so it is fitting that what I saw most of bug-wise was sweat bees:

 I only got pictures of two, but I saw a lot more.

 Tiny moth

 
 Plant bug

 And is that some kind of insect egg?

 So far I have seen a LOT of male gypsy moths, and only four females; here are two of the females I have seen, both laying eggs.

 Leaf footed bug nymph



 Moth

 Robber fly

Arachnid Appreciation:
This jumping spider was on the table on the back porch. It seemed to be trying to feed on the remains of a couple of the katydids that had fallen there from the wasp nest above. Most of them are gone now, I presume having been taken by something, a bird, maybe. They remained basically paralyzed but alive for several days after I found them. Anyway, there are two left, and they are clearly dead, but this spider seemed to be trying to feed on them.

There were also a bunch of really tiny somethings scurrying around, and the spider kept running at them. I couldn't tell if it caught any, they were so small.

Here's what they look like.




No comments:

Post a Comment