Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Mystery Unsolved

I see a lot of insect eggs, and cocoons, and galls, and various kinds of structures made of wrapped-up leaves where insects are hiding, and I usually don't ever find out what is inside them. But a while back I happened to see a bunch of these on an oak tree:
 I don't remember where I found the answer to what this was, but apparently oak leaf roller weevils make these rolled-up structures to lay their eggs in. When the eggs hatch the larva drop to the ground, and develop there. There was a picture of the adult weevil next to the picture of the structure, and so I had at least a good idea of what made them.

Then today I found this, Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I thought I recognized this from the picture I had seen a while back of the oak leaf roller weevil, and was excited to have found the insect that made those structures. Sure, it's not on an oak leaf here, but there is an oak tree looming over the tree where I found this. I was all ready to just post this as an oak leaf roller weevil. But I decided to look it up to be sure, and though the coloring and markings are similar to the one in the book, the shape of the insect is not. So this is probably some other kind of weevil. And since there wasn't anything else in my books that looks like this (in coloring, anyway), I don't have any idea what kind of weevil this is. Sigh. I had really thought that I knew something this time...

And on that same subject:
 This is on an oak tree, too. No idea what's inside, of course. Possibly a caterpillar of some kind, because of the silk used to hold it shut.

 Here are a couple of pictures that illustrate in general how my bug walk today went (though they cannot evoke the revolting heat and humidity of the day. When I walked outside with my camera the lens immediately fogged up. That is what it was like today), and that is all I am going to say in complaint:
 This is the only picture I got of this katydid nymph.

 Yeah. This happens a lot. If you're wondering where the bug is in this picture, it's not there anymore.

 
 I did get a peek at the nesting robin today.

And speaking of fleeting glances, I forgot to mention that last night I saw a bat, the first I have seen since last summer, and a few days ago my neighbor told my husband that he saw the bobcat in our backyard again, the first time it's been spotted in a couple of years. So that is kind of exciting. Unless you are one of the rabbits that lives back there.

In spite of the difficulties, I did get pictures of a few Other Bugs:
There are tiny moths flitting around all over the backyard as I walk around, particularly in the woods. Mostly they fly up and away when I walk by. Sometimes they will stay still for me.

Silver spot skipper

 Buffalo tree hopper nymphs

Assassin bug nymph. It is so tiny that I thought it was an aphid; it must have hatched only recently.

 Lady beetle

 Hopper nymph

Thick headed fly

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
To get an idea of how small this spiderling is, that is a milkweed bud it is resting on:

One of the things that I marvel at when I am wandering around in my backyard looking for bugs is the huge variety of species. For instance, when I used to go to camp as a kid and there were daddy-long-legs (which I thought were spiders back then) marching across my sleeping bag I thought that there was just one kind of daddy-long-legs (aka harvestman). I had no idea that there were several:





No comments:

Post a Comment