Tuesday, July 17, 2018

On the Road

Oof, it's been a long day. I had to get up early to do my bug walk–not that it felt early, it was already hot and humid outside. The reason I had to get my bug walk done early is because we left today on a trip, so this will be the last blog for a few weeks. I've got someone watching over my backyard for me, but they won't be watching over the blog, so for the next few weeks you're going to have to go outside and have a look around if you want to see bugs.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Damselfly


Here's how the caterpillars look now:
 I am so sad I am going to miss them becoming butterflies!

 I didn't realize when I took the picture that the lens was foggy! I had just walked out of the cool, dry house into the hot, humid backyard. Wedge shaped beetle or tumbling flower beetle. I don't have my books with me to look it up.

 Plant bug on common mullein

 I think this is some kind of underwing moth. This is as close as I got.

 Caterpillar

 There is a new round of sawfly larvae around.

 Plume moth

 Flower fly, I think.

 I am not sure what is happening here, but it looks like a wasp laying eggs on a leaf with sawfly larvae. There were several leaves with this scenario playing out, but I didn't see any eggs.

Flower beetles on common mullein:



 Assassin bug nymph

Different species of assassin bug nymph.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Spined micrathena




No comments:

Post a Comment