Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Comparing

The great thing about this time of year is that I can go somewhere for the day and get home in the evening and it's still light outside so I can do a bug walk. Sure, it's harder to find bugs, and it's harder to even see, but I can do it.

Not very successfully, but I can do it.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Forest tent caterpillar. It's too bad I couldn't find an eastern tent caterpillar today to compare them. The most obvious difference is that the eastern has a white line down the middle of its back, and the forest has the white dots. From what I have read, the forest tent caterpillars don't make tents, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me–why are they called tent caterpillars if they don't make tents? Anyway, they are blue, so I like them.

 Blue face

 Caterpillar close-up

I didn't find many other bugs on my evening bug walk, which is probably due to the time of day (it was heading toward darkness), but possibly also because it was kind of chilly out.


I think this weevil is enveloped in a droplet of water (yes, it rained today).

No comments:

Post a Comment