Sunday, June 24, 2018

Night Light

Today I had to use the porch light method to find bugs, due to timing and weather. I turned on the porch light when we got home in the evening; it wasn't dark yet, but it was close (partly due to the fact that it was raining). I left the light on for a while, and then went out to see what was there. One beetle and a couple of tiny moths. I took a picture of the beetle and went back in the house. I was going to turn the light off, figuring that it wasn't going to attract anything, but I left it on and went back out about half an hour later... and there were a lot more bugs, still mostly moths (but bigger ones), but other things, too. I have no idea what changed in that half hour.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Green lacewing

This is the beetle that was out there on my first look.

Later it was mostly moths:




This moth was tiny, and too high up on the wall and close to the light to get a good picture, but I found it interesting, so here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment