Saturday, June 23, 2018

Weather or Not

I'm trying to avoid starting my posts by talking about the weather, but... it had a huge effect on my bug walking today. It rained most of the day, and I didn't get to go out until evening; it was pretty dark all day, but it's darker later, obviously. So I didn't bother walking in the wooded areas, and I went inside when it started drizzling again, which means I didn't do a full bug walk. I knew there were bugs out and about, though, because I saw them out the window when it was raining. I generally find fewer bugs when the weather is wet, but there are some that just don't care if it's raining. And I don't, either; I would enjoy walking around in the rain, seeing what's out there, but it's not good for the camera. I did recently look into getting a rain cover for it, but I couldn't find one that would fit my camera/lens/flash arrangement, so I guess I still have to wait for the rain to stop on days like today.

I still found some interesting bugs, though.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 A new moth for me and my backyard. I continue to be amazed at the number of new insects I am finding this year.

Other Bugs:
 Caterpillar on daisy fleabane

 Damp weather brings out the sowbugs.

 Sawfly larva

 Plant bug

 Tree hopper nymph

 This caterpillar looks like it is doing a particularly angsty interpretive dance.

 Plant bug

 Robber fly

 
 Moth...

 ... and she's not alone.

 Crane fly

 Some kind of Hemiptera nymph


Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Is this her egg sac? I don't know. I have seen these in other places in the backyard where they are not being guarded. Maybe it's new?

I wonder if this is a baby shamrock spider. I haven't seen those in the backyard for a couple of years.


No comments:

Post a Comment