Monday, November 13, 2017

Woolly

Today I had a pretty rotten day, and the weather was rotten, and everything was rotten, and it rained most of the day, and was cold and dark all day, and even when it stopped raining, I decided I wasn't going to do a bug walk, because I was already feeling crummy and didn't need to add wet and cold to my list of problems. So there. I was just not going to do it. I knew there wouldn't be any bugs out anyway, because the high today was in the VERY low 40s, and since it was freezing overnight, and there was no sun, I didn't think any bugs would come out today.

But I hadn't thought about bugs that were already out.

I looked out the front door late in the afternoon and saw this:
 The woolly bear caterpillar that was on the porch last night was in the same spot where I moved it. It had uncurled, but was still just sitting there. I contemplated nudging it off the porch, because I thought the leaf litter under the porch is a better place for it, but I decided to let it make its own decisions about where it wants to rest.

Then I wondered if the other woolly bear, which was on a rock in the rock garden, had gone somewhere seeking shelter, since it was not protected from the rain like the one on the porch. I went to find it:
 
 Still on the same rock, though not in exactly the same spot. Curled up, and very wet.


Since I was outside, I did then go for a cursory walk around the backyard, even though it was getting pretty dark (not that it hadn't been dark all day, but this was a becoming nighttime kind of dark). I saw one little flying thing, one little scurrying across a leaf thing, and this, which is Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I think it's a midge.

I was basically right. It was too cold for the bugs to bother coming out after the rain finally ended. I may have found more if I really tried, but I may not. So... I don't have a point here. Good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment