Tuesday, November 14, 2017

A New Consistency

Today it was cold and dark again, so I decided that I would look around for bugs as I walked down to get the mail, and if I didn't see any I wouldn't do a bug walk. All I found was a tick (and I saw that the woolly bear caterpillar on the porch was in the same place it was yesterday). But later I went out in the backyard, I don't remember why, and when I went to empty the rain gauge I actually found a bug (other than the aphids that hang out there. So, I went in and got my camera. I didn't do a full bug walk, because I didn't find much else other that that, just one bug that is the...

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Plant bug of some kind.

Found on the rain gauge: Loopers:


 The woolly bear in the rock garden was also in the same place as yesterday, still soaking wet. It looked pretty forlorn to me, but then I remembered that forlorn is probably not an emotion that caterpillars are capable of.

I found an empty cocoon, too. Funny thing is, it was in a small gap in a tree trunk, and I know it wasn't there within the last few days. I think it must have been tucked up inside the hole, and either it eclosed and that knocked it down into the gap where I could see it, or something broke into it and ate what was inside it, having the same effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment