Thursday, November 16, 2017

Looking Closely

I really do hate starting all these posts with a description of the weather, but so often the weather has, or seems like it should have, an effect on what kind of bug life is around that I just can't help it. Like today: we didn't have a freeze last night, and the high today was in the 50s, warmer than it's been the last week or so, so I expected a buggier day. Granted, most of the day was really overcast (and there was hail, and the heaviest downpour that I think I have ever seen in my whole life), but there was a little sun, and with the warmer day I thought it would be really buggy in the backyard. Eh, no.

Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #1:
 Some kind of very small leaf hopper. Actually, looking at this again, I think this may have already been Backyard Bug of the Day this year. Oh well. It's getting to the end of the year, I can't remember everything.

Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #2:
 I think this looks like an immature tree louse, but I don't know. It has awfully small wings to be an adult anything. I found both Backyard Co-Bugs of the Day within about a foot of each other.

Other Bugs:
 Rove beetle. I thought it was an ant at first, but then I decided it wasn't moving like an ant and took a closer look. Those are always fun surprises, when something turns out not to be what I thought.

 Yesterday's wasp was still in the same place on the side of the house.

 Ant on a wilted, frost-destroyed morning glory bud.

 Springtail

 
 Just to prove that I am not always as observant as I think, I didn't notice in the springtail on this leaf when I took the picture.


 After the forceful downpour I wondered if the loopers would still be on the rain gauge; one of them was.


 I saw this winter firefly in this nook in some tree bark a few times in the last week, but a couple of days ago it was gone. Yesterday it was back, facing head down, and today it had turned around again.

 
 Another winter firefly

 Candy striped leaf hopper

Plant bug

 I found a discarded caterpillar face.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 I have been checking out this spider for over a month, trying to get a good picture of it. Today was my best yet, but still needs work. At least it wasn't hiding in a corner this time. Such a striking pattern. It is some kind of orb weaver, but it has not built a new web in several days.







No comments:

Post a Comment