Saturday, November 4, 2017

It's Fall

The crickets were singing rather halfheartedly this afternoon, and the morning glories are spent and withered, and that should tell you all you need to know about my bug hunt today.

However, I did find an unexpected beauty today for Backyard Bug of the Day:
 
Some kind of geometer moth. I know that caterpillars don't look anything like the moths and butterflies they will become, but there is a looper caterpillar that I can just imagine turning into this moth.

 
 This beetle scurried past the couch late last night, so I caught it in my bug vacuum and released it today. It didn't seem particularly grateful.

There were fewer candy striped leaf hoppers out basking today, maybe because the sunshine was too hazy to be warming, but there were still quite a few to be found:



 


Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



I saw what appeared to be an aphid acting strangely, moving in a very un-aphid-like way, and when I looked more closely I understood why.








No comments:

Post a Comment