Thursday, November 30, 2017

Close to Home

I did a bug walk today, and it was a completely pointless exercise. Then why am I writing a blog today, you might ask? Because I did find some bugs today, but the only one I found "on" my bug walk was one that was about three feet from the back porch steps when I was heading back into the house, and everything else I found today was actually on either the front or back porch.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Large milkweed bug. Yes, I posted a picture of this yesterday, of this exact specimen, in fact, most likely. I found it on the picnic table, same as yesterday (I moved it to a rock for a better picture). But I was able to get a better picture today, and wanted to note that I think yesterday is the first time I have seen one this year. These have never been a common site in my backyard; last year or the year before is the first time I saw one here. Small milkweed bugs I've had for years, but the large ones are more recent. [Edit: I have a terrible memory for what I have seen at this point; this was Backyard Bug of the Day a couple of months ago. Ah, well, too late to change it now].

I did see a few ants and winter crane flies on my bug walk. But that's it. I didn't even see any flies (True flies I mean. Obviously, I just said I saw crane flies).

On the front porch this evening:
 Winter moth. There were a couple out there tonight. They are active in the late fall and early winter, and in the spring their caterpillars are evidently quite destructive; they are an invasive species.

On the back porch this evening:
 Another moth

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
This spider was on the back screen door when I was on my way into the house after my pointless bug walk. Tiny and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment