Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Every Day Is A Chance For Something Else

After everything I said yesterday... today was a really nice day, and I found quite a few bugs. And I am going to go against what I promised, and post several pictures of the same-old, same-old.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Ground beetle of some kind. Found by looking under a piece of wood on the ground.


Other Bugs:
 I have posted a few of these lately, but this is a different view of it.


 I really like rove beetles. There is just something about them I find charming. Mostly they way they tuck their wings under their elytra by lifting up their back end, but also...

 Something about the way they keep their wings under those tiny elytra amuses me. It looks like a little suitcase, and it opens up, and...

 Wings!

 Three days in a row with this caterpillar. Today it had actually moved, though, and was lower on the tree, almost at my eye level, thank you very much.

 This looks like a stinkbug nymph of some kind.

 Candy striped leaf hopper on moss. I am pretty sure this is the first time I have ever seen one on the ground (or rather, near the ground, as it was actually on a fallen log). I usually see them on leaves of plants. I wonder if it was feeding on moss, since there's not many leaves left.

Twice-stabbed lady beetle. It's interesting how often I have been seeing these lately. Unless I just keep seeing the same one all over the backyard.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Tiny crab spider I spotted rappelling down a tree trunk.




No comments:

Post a Comment