Monday, November 6, 2017

Still Glorious

I had a pleasant surprise this morning when I looked out the window:
 As it turns out, the morning glories live on! I didn't think there were any viable buds left, but the surviving vines were covered with blooms today. And as you can see, it rained for part of the day.

 The bugs don't appear to have received the memo about the morning glories, though, because the one in this picture (and this is the best shot I got of it, I can't even tell what it is) and a gnat are the only bugs that I saw on the flowers today. No bees.

The day was mostly overcast, but it was warmer than it has been the last few days, in the mid 60s, so there were quite a few bugs around.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Wasp


Other Bugs:
 Plant bug

 Looper caterpillar


 Thorn mimic plant hopper and ant attendants

 Beetle

 It's strange, this is a very rare occasion when I actually saw a ladybeetle eating an aphid. I see them around aphids a lot, but I never see them actually eating them. This is on the rain gauge...

 ... and the top of the rain gauge was teeming with these.

 Two ladybeetles today, different species. I have not seen any swarming ladybeetles this year.


 Fly

 Springtail. Quite a few of these around today.



 Another kind of springtail

 Beetle

Winter firefly

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I found this spider on the morning glory vine.


Nice view of a six-spotted orb weaver's spots.








No comments:

Post a Comment