Sunday, April 7, 2019

Busy Bugs

Finally, I found a bee in a flower!
 Tiny sweat bee in a crocus.

Still none of the creeping myrtle appear to be attracting anything, but the first forsythia blooms did:
 Ant

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Some kind of borer, which is a kind of beetle



There were a few other beetles, too:

 Picnic beetle

There were ants all over the place today:
 I mostly saw them crawling on leaf litter. I saw several species. They were mostly too fast to photograph.

In fact, most of the bugs I saw were to busy to stop for pictures. Many of them I saw flying by in a hurry, too fast for me to have any idea what they were (though some were obviously bees or flies). Or crawling in the grass:

 This winter firefly landed on my pant leg.

 Some kind of Hemiptera

It was a beautiful, warm day, which became a mild evening. I went out in the evening and kind of expected a lot of bugs on the porch when I got home, and aside from a bunch of midges there really wasn't much there. Except:
 Creepy, little larva

Moth

There were multitudes of spiders around today. So much to enjoy in Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
There were a lot of jumping spiders on the side of the house... and on the trash cans, and the cellar door, and the picnic table, and...


 

 I did get pictures of all of them. There were multiple species.

There were also multiple species of other kinds of spiders:




Bowl-and-doily spider







No comments:

Post a Comment