Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Absence and Abundance

I was distracted today while doing my bug walk, my mind at least half on other things, to the point where I didn't really realize how few bugs I saw until just now, looking at my pictures on the computer. I did notice that there still are no pollinators being attracted to the blooming flowers, and I don't know if that is something I should be worried about. I mean, not in the sense that I can do anything about it, but I do worry about the state of the natural world. Insects are in trouble all over. So the fact that there are flowers for them to feed on, but nothing feeding on them seems like a worrisome sign, if my little acre can mean anything. I did see a couple of bees, on tree trunks, the same kind I saw on tree trunks last week. They are shy, though, and it's hard for me to get close enough to them to take pictures.

Anyway, I don't have a Backyard Bug of the Day today, because there just were not enough bugs, and the few that I saw are the ones I've been seeing for months. Specifically, I saw a LOT of winter fireflies today. I haven't posted any in a while, because I can't just post the same thing every day, but I have been seeing them daily, albeit only one or two some days. There were more today:
 And these two are trying to make sure there are more in the future.

There are always a few days in the spring when this particular oak tree has hordes of winter fireflies crawling around on it, and I had not seen that yet this year, so I though maybe it happened while I was out of town, or maybe it wouldn't happen this year, but today was the day:


And, here's the only non-winter-firefly insect I got a picture of today:
 Twice stabbed lady beetle.

I had more variety among spiders today. Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
These two will look familiar...
I spotted my first spider today when I was taking a picture of the mating fireflies. Can you see it?

 It was really tiny. And it disappeared into a crack in the tree bark.

Then I spotted another one (or the same one, it's impossible to tell). It kept crawling in and out of view:
 It's the kind of thing that is so small you really only notice it if it moves.


 Mite. This is tiny, too, but much more noticeable.

 It rained last night, and I have gotten into a habit of checking the bottom of the rain gauge when I empty it:
It is a popular hangout for spiders and insects.

No comments:

Post a Comment