Sunday, April 21, 2019

A Quick Look

I didn't get to do a full bug walk today, but a quick perusal turned up a few insects.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Crane fly. Female. That spike is not a stinger, she doesn't sting; that is an ovipositor. She will use it to lay her eggs by jabbing it into the ground. I know it's pretty impossible to tell the sizes of bugs from the pictures I take, but this is quite a large crane fly compared to the ones that dance in little swarms in the fall. I love the sort of Art Deco stained glass look of the wings.

This is a bug that I like aesthetically and personality-wise, but I am not so happy to see it on this bush:
 This is a sawfly, and in the past their larvae have done quite a lot of damage to that particular bush. And I saw two of them there this morning.

Cute face, though.

A couple of moths today:
One tiny one...

 ... and one larger one.

 Moth wing close-up




No comments:

Post a Comment