Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Planting for Pollinators

I bought some plants this past weekend that are late-blooming perennials, in order to provide late season nourishment to pollinators. I wasn't sure why I was doing it, since I haven't seen any pollinators lately, but the flowers exist, so I decided I wanted them in my yard, because I like bugs and wanted to do this nice thing for them. Maybe that makes me sound like a weirdo, I don't care. I did think it might be an exercise in futility (a couple of the plants are full of buds, but not actually blooming, and they may be running out of time for that), and yesterday there were no pollinators attracted to the one plant that actually has blooms on it right now, but today...

 Huge flower fly on this chrysanthemum. It looks like a daisy to me, but according to the nursery, it's a perennial chrysanthemum. I am a fan of perennials, because I hate gardening, so the idea that every autumn I am going to have these late-blooming flowers is really wonderful. I hope the bugs like them, too.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 This is a really tiny hopper nymph of some kind. I don't know if I have ever seen one before; I know I have never seen one this small. It's surprising to me that there would be one in such an early instar at this time of year, but I suppose they can possibly overwinter in any instar? I have no idea.



Nearby was this:
 Another hopper nymph, and it could be a later instar of the same species. This I am pretty sure I have seen before.

Everything else (and there's not much) is the usual stuff I have been seeing lately:
 Grasshoppers in the rock garden...


 ... ants, also in the rock garden...

 Tree cricket...

... whatever kind of cricket this is...

 ... tiny moth on the garden shed


No comments:

Post a Comment