Sunday, October 21, 2018

No Expectations

Today there were two big questions when I went outside for my bug walk: would I find any bugs with the temperature only rising to the upper forties, and if I did find any, would I be able to take pictures with the wind blowing as fiercely as it was? The answer to both questions was yes, but not resoundingly so.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Another tiny leaf hopper

Other Bugs:
 I took this picture when I saw this ant on the front walk in case it was the only insect I saw today.


 Leaf hopper

Crickets hanging out on tree trunks:



 This thread-waisted wasp was in a stupor from the cold.

 Assassin bug nymph

 Sometimes I see random, tiny specks and think that they deserve to be examined, and this was one of those. And it turned out to be...

... a lace bug.


 Looper caterpillar, very unconvincingly pretending to be a twig. It would be more convincing if twigs grew out of the plastic walls of the garden shed. I also cannot figure out why it was doing this when it was so cold; I would have thought it would try to find somewhere sheltered and curl up a bit.

 Ladybeetle

 This might be a spider egg sac. I'm not sure.

Winter firefly

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

There are a lot of common house spiders on the garden shed.


No comments:

Post a Comment