Sunday, October 28, 2018

Observing Life

Back on the subject of leaf litter, I saw a tiny spider scurrying across the leaf litter, so I leaned down to try to get a picture of it, but it stopped running in an awkward spot. I decided to try to urge it to a better spot, which sometimes works, and sometimes makes them just run into hiding, so I picked up another leaf to try to nudge the spider with the stem, and underneath the leaf that I picked up was a tiny cricket that had been sheltering in the leaf litter. The cricket scurried off, and the spider did the same when I tried to get it to move, and so I didn't get a picture, but I did get a satisfying moment of observing life.

I don't have a Backyard Bug of the Day today. There wasn't anything that qualified.

Today's Backyard Inhabitants of the Arthropod Variety:
 Grasshopper missing one of its rear legs. It didn't move while I was taking its picture, but less than a minute later I looked back at the plant and it was gone; I would guess it can still jump.

 Wasp

 Fly

 Woolly bear caterpillar

 Ladybeetle

 The rock where I saw a lot of rove beetles the other day had 2 rove beetles on it today.

 Fly. Flies were probably what I saw most of today, even if I didn't get pictures of many of them (and I only saw 4 or 5, so that's not even so many).

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Jumping Spider


Daddy-long-legs

Jumping spider


No comments:

Post a Comment