Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Common Garden Variety

I thought today was going to be another rain-out, because it drizzled all morning, but eventually it stopped (the sun even came out for about 2 minutes), so I grabbed my camera to go out looking for bugs, not knowing how long the respite would last (for hours, as it turned out, but you never know. And it was followed by a ferocious thunderstorm in the evening). I didn't know what to expect bug-wise, I never do anymore, so I can't say that it didn't live up to my expectations. I didn't find much, but on days like today I picture bugs doing what I do when I wake up on dreary mornings–pull the covers back over my head and say that I don't want to go outside today.

It's still mushroom weather:

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Striped garden caterpillar. I have been on the lookout for these, because this is about the time of year I have seen them before. I have always seen them in the same place, too, down near the street in front of the house. They have a really boring name, and given the time of year I find them, maybe they should be called pumpkin spice caterpillars. After all, everything else is pumpkin spice these days.



 I wonder if this one got injured and healed when it was smaller. I don't even know if caterpillars can heal. But there must be a reason for this break in its stripes.

Other Bugs:
 Assassin bug

 Dragonfly

 

 Bumblebee

 I'm still not sure if this is a bee or a wasp.

 Woolly bear

 White hickory tussock moth caterpillar

 I think this is a western conifer seed bug.

It is about to have company.

I have been looking out for these, too, because I usually see them all over the goldenrod, and I haven't seen them this year.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
It was very easy for me to find spiderwebs this morning; the mist collects on the webs:
 There is a bowl and doily spider in there. I always wonder how they feel about such situations.

 
 This is the web of a funnel web spider...

 ... and there's the spider.

 This is the funnel web spider I have been keeping an eye on for a couple of weeks. She scurried up into her lair when she saw me, so I didn't get a picture of her, but I can't help but wonder why she hasn't built a new web.




No comments:

Post a Comment