Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Themeless

I don't have a theme today, or a Backyard Bug of the Day. There was nothing about my walk in my backyard today that was noteworthy. I daydreamed as I walked along looking for bugs, and I didn't find many, but it's nice to walk along and daydream, too, so I have no complaints.
So, here are the bugs I found, in the order that I found them (or in the order the pictures upload, because sometimes that's a problem), except, naturally, the spiders will be at the end:
Stinkbug

That one winter firefly still hiding in the same spot. After seeing so many yesterday I only saw two today. You'll see the other one further down the page.

Fall webworm caterpillar

Candy striped leaf hopper

I saw a lot of tiny flying things (for the last couple of days, actually), and it is hard to see what they are, particularly if you don't see them land anywhere. But this is what I think I have been seeing, tiny leaf hoppers, about an eighth of an inch long. They don't like to have their picture taken, so it's hard to get a close shot of one.

Western conifer seed bug. I am guessing this one is trying to find a good place to escape the cold, and since it is on the foundation of the house it is probably trying to find a way inside. I would prefer it stay outside, thank you very much.

Mosquito

Crane fly

Stinkbug

There were a couple of these little moths on the garden shed.

The asters were nearly deserted the last couple of days, but I found one plant today with a couple of insects on it;
Wasp

Different kind of wasp–I think this one is a potters wasp.

Ambush bug with fly

Another tiny leaf hopper

The number of caterpillars I have been finding is way down from about a week ago. Today I only saw two.

Tree cricket. I didn't hear many today, but I found one.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Yes, this is a cricket on the side of the house, but there is also a daddy-long-legs in the picture, so I had to put it with the arachnids.

Daddy-long-legs on autumn joy sedum

The micrathena spider keeps building its web across a particular path, but it's not there every day, and not in the same spot each time, so I keep walking through it.

I was taking a picture of this winter firefly when I realized it was being photobombed by two arachnids. I am sure you can see one of them, a tiny spider, but can you spot the other?

Mite

A little better look.


Jumping spider

Some day I am going to get a spider field guide and find out what this is called.

Nursery web spider blending in



No comments:

Post a Comment