Saturday, May 19, 2018

Night Insect

As expected, it rained all day, so I didn't do a bug walk, but tonight when I went outside to say good-bye to my sister, who came to dinner, I happened to spot a little something on my way back into the house. I got my husband to hold an umbrella for me as I took a picture of this little critter crawling on top of the grill in the rain:
 This could be the same species of caterpillar that was Backyard Bug of the Day yesterday, but it was quite a bit smaller. Maybe an eighth of an inch long. Walking around in the rain on top of a barbecue grill in the dark. These caterpillars seem to have an affinity for backyard furniture.

It is carting around a few raindrops. I always wonder how much insects are aware of that, and if it bothers them. They don't seem to ever do anything about it (although I did once see a tiny bug that was rather overwhelmed by some raindrops, and it tried to get free of them).

There were also moths flying around in rain tonight, which really seemed odd to me. If I had wings like a moth's, I don't think I would want to get them wet. Sadly, now the forecast for tomorrow is also showing rain. I feel like it will never be sunny again. I get melodramatic after a certain number of gloomy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment