Saturday, May 5, 2018

I Stand Corrected

There is a moth in my house, and for the last hour I have been on my computer trying to get some work done and it is landing on my screen, on my face, on my hands as I type, flying around my head... it's driving me nuts.

Today when I opened the shutters to look out the window for my first view of the beautiful oasis that is my backyard I found out that I was wrong. A great way to start the day, don't you think? Get humbled by a tree, and then get on with your day. What I could not see from the ground, I could see from a second story window, which is an important lesson in perspective: there are flowers on my flowering crab apple tree this year, and it is currently a flowering flowering crab apple tree:
 Caveat: all of the flowers are up at the top of the tree. The reason I thought there would be no flowers is because I haven't seen any buds, but from underneath the tree, even looking up I don't think I would have seen those.


Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Lace bug

Other Bugs:
 The ants were going after the fuzzy, black caterpillar, so I guess it is dead.

I do have a few other, smaller flowering crab apple trees in the yard, and some of them have flowers that are closer to my level:


 Crane flies. The female is the one above.

 You can see the female's pointy ovipositor.

Another female

 Six spotted tiger beetle



 There are MANY species of bees or other bugs that are spending a lot of time flying low to the ground, either on the grass or the leaf litter in the woods. It's cool to watch, but impossible to photograph, so I can't show you. But this one wasp landed for about a second so I got a picture.

 Dandelions are very popular.

 Brown lacewing on the window

Stink bug

2 comments: