Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Nestled

Over the course of the winter and the very long leafless portion of the spring, I had forgotten how shady my backyard is when the trees are completely leafed out. It's quite enchanting to walk around out there now, surrounded in green. It really does wonders for my daydreaming to be amidst such verdure, like walking around in fairy tale woods.

And yet, where did the robins choose to lay their eggs? On my front porch. The young ones are getting feistier–and so are the parents, so I have not had a close-up look in a few days. I was sitting about twenty feet from the nest, on the ground, under a tree, waiting for the parents to come back and feed their chicks so I could take a picture of that process, when one of the parent birds swooped down at me from behind. I felt the breeze as it whooshed over my head. Both parents then began to squawk at me, so I gave up on getting that picture. I thought I was far enough away not to bother them. Here's what I got before I was chased away:


Backyard Bug of the Day:
Blue azure, I think.



This picture is pretty emblematic of how my day went.

Other Bugs:
It always impresses me how ragged butterflies and moths get. Their wings don't grow at all once they have emerged from their chrysalides, so any damage is permanent and won't heal. And yet, they can have an amazing amount of damage to their wings and still fly.

There were a lot of bees around today. They were mostly too busy to pose for pictures, though.

The dame rocket is blooming, and when flowers bloom, bugs come to visit them.


Sawfly larva


Beetle...

... and what I didn't notice as I took the picture, a mite.

More flower beetles:


I think this is another kind of sawfly larva.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Six spotted orb weaver





No comments:

Post a Comment