Thursday, October 5, 2017

No Title

It took me a much longer time than usual to find a bug today (or at least, one that would sit still to have its picture taken), and that always seems like a bad sign, like it means I am not going to find anything, but it often has no bearing on the overall success of my bug search for the day. I can search half the backyard and find nothing, and then find a ton of bugs in the rest of the backyard.

Today was not one of those days. Bugs were just scarce, especially compared to some of the other days this week (which currently all blend together in my head, so I don't really know what I'm talking about).

I wasn't sure I was going to even have a Backyard Bug of the Day today, because the bug I was going to use turned out to be one I used a couple of months ago. But as it turns out, another bug I thought had been used had not so... it's not that interesting, because I've posted a ton of pictures of it, but it's there.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Red legged grasshopper

Here's another one, as seen through a window. Note to self: the windows need cleaning.

Other Bugs:
 I don't know, maybe the other bugs were hiding from me?

 Bee that has already been Backyard Bug of the Day this summer.



 Sweat bee

 Earwig

 It was that kind of day.

 Stinkbug feeding on a caterpillar. That caterpillar doesn't look familiar to me, though it's not really in the best shape to see what it's like. If it was alive and crawling, it might have been Backyard Bug of the Day.

 I found another large milkweed bug.

 For a second there, there were two predatory insects on the same leaf, but the assassin bug moved, ruining my picture.

 Tree cricket

 Lady beetle

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Flower crab spider

 Jumping spider with leaf hopper prey


No comments:

Post a Comment