Thursday, October 26, 2017

Catching Up

So. Here's the rain gauge, showing less thant 48 hours worth of rain:
 Almost 4.5 inches. A month's worth of rain in two days. It was cold(ish), too–the high was only in the upper 50s. Suddenly it feels like October.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
I don't know what this is, other than it's some kind of Hemiptera, and it looks like a nymph. It may be new to me, but there are so many Hemiptera that look more or less like this that it's hard to remember anymore.

 I found one springtail. I've been sort of looking for them lately, and it was nice to finally find one.

 Crane fly

 Given the chilliness, and the mostly sunlessness of the day, I wasn't really expecting to find anything, so given those expectations, the day was much buggier than I thought it would be. Here's two insects on one tree, a tree cricket and a winter firefly.

I saw several winter fireflies today.

 Pupal case of a very small caterpillar/moth whose name I can't remember.

 Hopper

 It was chilly enough to make flies somewhat more compliant than usual.

 But not completely

 Stilt-legged bug

 The only insect in the morning glories today was this earwig that I found when I was removing spent blossoms and one ripped, exposing the insect inside.

 March flies, all male. I am still seeing almost all males of these (I think I have seen a total of 3 females, all on the same day, and in the same general area), and so far have only seen one mating couple. Curious.

 Tree cricket missing 2 of the 3 legs on one side.

 The biggest surprise in the backyard today: a dandelion. Hoverfly resting on it.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

 
 There were several of these spiders on the garden shed.

 I haven't seen a flower crab spider in a couple of weeks, I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment