Sunday, October 8, 2017

A Dark Search

Due to weather, I ended up doing my bug walk as it was getting dark on an already overcast day, so there may have been a million bugs out there, but I could not see them. You get what you get.

Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #1:
 Spotted cucumber beetle

 There are two Backyard Bugs of the Day today because there were two okay candidates and I don't feel like making a decision.

Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #2:

Other Bugs:
 Assassin bug nymphs

 You know it was late on a bad-weather day when I only saw 3 bumblebees, and they were all basically in a stupor, hanging from plants. On the plus side, we got half an inch of rain that we desperately needed.

 I sometimes see this gelatinous goo on trees and have never had any idea what it is. I read something recently that made me think it might have to do with slug eggs, and I wish I did not know that. But I did a not-at-all-comprehensive search on slug eggs, and what I saw didn't look like this so... I still don't know what it is.

 Fall webworm

 Crane fly, front view

 Some kind of plant bug

Sawfly larva

Backyard Amphibian of the Day:
 The pictures may be deceiving; this frog was only about an inch long.







No comments:

Post a Comment