Thursday, March 30, 2017

Bug Magnet

Today was a day for up-close-and-personal arthropod encounters.

It started with this:
 Tiny fly landed on my hand.

Then, there was this:
 This wasp landed right on my forehead. Fortunately, it flew off on its own before I could brush it off; I didn't know it was a wasp that had landed there, and if I had tried to brush it off it might have stung me.

And then, there was THIS horror:
I looked down and saw about twenty ticks crawling up my leg. Nightmare. So much for tick-repellent pants. On the other hand, maybe they didn't like the pants, and the reason they were running was to get off of them. I helped them off, which makes me sound much kinder than I am, given that they are all dead now. My live and let live policy for critters does not extend to ticks, arachnids that I most definitely do NOT appreciate.

As I was walking around my backyard today, thinking about the fact that flowers were beginning to bloom, I thought that I should be seeing bees soon. Then I found today's Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I presume this is a bee. This is the only view I got of this insect, deep inside a crocus flower.

Another insect inside another crocus

 I found these two in the road - technically not in my yard, but I had one foot in my yard as I was taking the picture. Does that count?

 Twice-stabbed lady beetle

 Candy striped leaf hoppers basking in the sunshine

 Winter firefly

After enjoying all of this wonderful springtime I was dismayed to read the weather forecast for tomorrow: snow. I am hoping it won't come to pass.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



No comments:

Post a Comment