Monday, March 6, 2017

Antennae

Last Wednesday, March 1, was the first day of meteorological spring, and the weather, which had been pleasant and springlike for some time, decided to be contrary and revert back to winter. The low point of this swing was Saturday, when the high was in the 20s. It has been grudgingly inching back up again, and today was in the 40s. Still, I would never have considered doing a bug walk today if I had not opened the curtains this morning to find a tiny insect on the window.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
I don't know what it is, a fly of some sort. It was about an eighth of an inch long, maybe. Quite spectacular antennae. I was extremely surprised to see it there this morning, because the overnight temperature was below freezing, and even the daytime highs have been at or below freezing for the last 3 days. But there it was.

I did see a few other things flying about when I went out to get the mail today, so I did do a bug walk a little later in the afternoon. I didn't find anything though. I didn't walk around the whole yard, because it was just a bit too cold for comfort today - I acclimated to the 60s when it was warm a week ago, and have not reacclimated to being cold. So, the little fly on the window is the only bug for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment