Sunday, March 19, 2017

Bugs on Snow

We had another snowstorm this past week, and though the temperature has been above freezing most days since then, the snow has stubbornly remained. I've been spotting bugs occasionally, on the windows, so today I decided to go out and have a look. I mostly was looking for snow fleas, which are a species of springtail. They can sometimes be seen on the surface of snow, but in my yard I have only ever seen them on the trunks of trees. So far this year I have not been able to find them anywhere. Today was no different.

I did find a Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I think it's a winter crane fly. I know those have been Backyard Bug of the Day before, but I think if you're an insect hanging around on snow, you deserve the honor. Most of the ground is covered with snow, but there are a couple of spots where it has melted to expose the leaf litter, and there were some birds that were digging through the leaf litter and tossing leaves around. I wonder if these insects were hanging out in the leaf litter, and the birds disturbed them.

 
 Anyway, I found two of these.

Then there were a couple of these on the grill cover:
I love fuzzy antennae.

But spring is coming...





No comments:

Post a Comment