Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Windows and Porch Lights

Today's collection of bugs is neither profound or particularly prolific, although there are a lot of larvae. I guess that is to be expected in the springtime.

Today's Backyard Bug of the Day come not from my bug walk this afternoon, but from what I found on the front porch when I got home after an evening out. Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I think this is a moth I have never seen before.

One of the most fun things to do with a macro lens:
 Take pictures of bugs through a window. This is a view of beetles I don't get very often.


 
 I don't think this is the same kind of beetle...

 Stilt bug

 I have been seeing a lot of new weevils this year. I thought this one was adorable, and I have never seen it before. If it had been more cooperative, so I could have taken better pictures of it, I would have made it Backyard Bug of the Day.

 A photobombing bug bonus in this shot.




 
 Bee on buttercup. That should give you an idea of the size of the bee.

This might be a spittle bug, sans spittle.

Ants

More ants. I can't tell if that is a bug, or part of the tree that they are poking around.

Click beetle


Assassin bug

Ichneumon wasp

 

Another porch-light visitor.

Now, about those larvae...


 

 These first four were all on the same clump of ferns.

 This one has a photobomber, blurred out on the leaf in the background - the yellow blob.

 More caterpillars on that same tree trunk

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Jumping spiders are my favorite spiders, so I always feel happy for them when I see them with prey. You'd think I'd feel sad for the prey, but nope. I am happy for the adorable spider.

No comments:

Post a Comment