Sunday, May 15, 2016

Drop

Ah, New England. Where it can be in the 80s on Saturday, and drop to a high of only the mid-50s on Sunday. I didn't find a lot of bugs today, but that may be in part because it was into evening by the time I was able to do my bug walk. And then it started to rain on me. Yay. But I found a very pretty bug for Backyard Bug of the Day.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 It looks like a small, green cranefly, but I couldn't find any craneflies that look like this in the books, so I don't know if that's what this is.

 It's quite pretty, though.

Another cranefly


 Really tiny beetle. I couldn't even tell if it was an insect until I looked at it through the camera.

 I think this is a robber fly.

 Tiny nymph. It looks like a hopper nymph, although it didn't really walk like one. It is about the size of a sesame seed.


 
 I think this is a sawfly larva.

 It has too many prolegs to be a caterpillar. It also appears to have parasite eggs on it, unless those yellow protrusions are something else.

 Definitely a head more like a sawfly larva than a Lepidoptera.

No comments:

Post a Comment