Friday, May 6, 2016

Rain, Rain, Rain...

This morning the clouds began to part. The sky brightened up a bit. The sun looked like it was contemplating emerging from behind its veil of clouds. Through the window I could see bumblebees bumbling along. And then, just as I was getting ready to go outside to do my bug walk in the comfortably warm spring air... it started to rain. Again. I thought it wasn't supposed to rain today, but it did. Most of the day and evening. It did stop for a while in the early afternoon, and I was able to do part of a bug walk before it stared again, but those raindrops could have been my tears of despair. Yes, I know, rain is vital. But it doesn't have to rain EVERY. STINKING. DAY.

Sigh.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 This might be a soldier beetle, and if it is a soldier beetle, it might be the species Ancistronycha bilineata. That is what it looks like from Kaufman's Field Guide to Insects of North America. But the book also says there are a lot of other insects that mimic various solider beetles, so I don't know for sure.

 It's cute, though, it it was somewhat cooperative, so here's a ton of pictures of it...







 I found a couple of others in other places in the yard, and though these two pictures of one on a rock are not in good focus (because this one was not cooperative), you kind of get a better sense of what it looks like.

 Also, a look at that beetle face.

The dandelions were crowded today:
 If you look you can see there are several species of insects on here.

 This one only has two.

 A lot of insects, but they all look like the same kind.

 Ants. Lots of ants.


Another ant, on a different plant. Actually, there were a few ants on here, too.

More Random Bugs:
 Beetle

 Tiny caterpillar. About a quarter of an inch long, if that.



 I noticed a hole in a large leaf bud on a tree, and there was something peeking out of it...


 First time I have seen a stonefly on a natural surface. Before they have been on the package bin and the trellis. I prefer my bugs to pose on natural objects, like this tree.

 Click beetle. On a rock.

 Another bug on a rock. If you look back at the pictures, you'll see that a lot of bugs were on rocks today. Speaking of which...

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 The above bug was not alone on its rock.

Harvestman/daddy-long-legs

No comments:

Post a Comment