Thursday, February 25, 2016

Spring Tails in Winter

Doing bug walks is an every day thing for me in the spring, summer, and fall, but in the winter (which it technically still is), it's a hit and miss thing. If it's warm enough, I'll do a bug walk, if it's not, I won't. Or in the case of yesterday, I won't because it's pouring rain all day. Today we had some sunshine after a night of violent storming, and the temperature was in the bug-friendly zone, so I went out to look. I didn't find much, but I did find something that I have been looking for for weeks.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Snow flea. It's not really a flea, but a species of springtail. I have been looking for them for a while. Having had very little snow this year, I have been looking for them on tree trunks, and today I finally found them. I am not sure why I have been able to find other species of springtails, but not these, in the last few months, maybe they only show up in late winter. Anyway, I found one on this trunk...

... and then found several on another tree nearby. So, there you have it. No snow, but snow fleas.

No comments:

Post a Comment