Monday, February 22, 2016

Not Hibernating

There was something springy in the air today. It wasn't all that warm, at least not when I was outside (mid 40s, whereas it was in the 50s over the weekend), but there was just that feeling of spring - it's not a smell, really, it's just... well, you know it when you feel it. There was a quartet of chipmunks who spent a good portion of the day dashing back and forth across the driveway who seemed to feel it, too. I was surprised to see chipmunks, because I thought they'd be hibernating, but when I looked it up, I read that they don't really hibernate, they just sleep a lot in the winter, and sometimes come out on warm days. So, there they were.

But I was looking for bugs, not chipmunks. And I realized as I was walking along the woods path that I was not the only one looking for bugs today. Backyard Bird of the Day:
 I think this is a red-bellied woodpecker. It was also looking for bugs, but for a different reason than I was.

 Here's a zoomed-in look at the above picture. The macro lens is not meant for taking pictures of birds high up in trees. At least, not unless the photographer is also high up in the tree, and even then it wouldn't be idea.

I don't know how things worked out for the woodpecker, but I didn't really expect to find bugs today, or not anything interesting, even though it was sunny and above freezing. So, today's Backyard Bug of the Day was a bit of a surprise.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I don't know what it is, but it is a bit like a large rove beetle. It doesn't look like it has wings, though. It does move its back end a bit like a rove beetle, though. I do think it is a beetle of some kind, but I wonder if maybe it's in a larval stage? Anyway, I don't know, but it was definitely not something I expected to see scurrying across the path.

 Looking for a place to hide.

 Hiding... except for the back end.

 Other than that...
 ... all I found was one springtail.



No comments:

Post a Comment