Sunday, February 28, 2016

Yo yo yo

The yo-yo is on the upswing today, and so it was good bug weather. I didn't get outside until late in the afternoon, so I was probably not out looking for bugs at prime bug time, but I did find a couple of things.

It's not usual to see something on a tree trunk and wonder if it's a bug or just a weird knob of bark. Today the item in question turned out to be a bug, and maybe a weird one. Backyard Bug of the Day:
 It sure did look like a bark bump at first, but bark bumps don't have legs.

 I am not sure if this is something new for me or not. I've been doing this long enough, and seen so many bugs, that I am sometimes uncertain whether something strange is a new strange, or just one that I have forgotten. I know I have seen things that look similar to this, but I think it's something I have not seen before.

 Naturally I don't know what it is, but it looks like a moth without wings. I would have thought that was impossible before, but I am now aware that in some species of moth, specifically the winter moth, the females are wingless. So this could be a wingless moth.

Random Bugs:
 I didn't get a good look at this, or a good shot of it. It looks a bit like a springtail, but it was much larger than any other springtails I have seen.

 Tiny hopper

Strangeness:
 I found this on a dead plant stem. I don't know what it is, but it looks like some sort of cocoonish thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment