Tuesday, July 14, 2015

I Have No Title For This Post

I was looking forward to today's newspaper in the hopes that there would be another story about bugs, but alas, nothing. Given the mundane nature of some of the stories on the front page, it was obviously just a fluke that for two days in a row bugs were front page news, and not the start of an interesting week of bug stories.

Ah, well. Here's some wild bees for you:


 Wait, that's not a bee, it's a wasp.

Note the one leaving the picture on the upper left.

Here's an update of yesterday's Backyard Bug of the Day:
 It doesn't look like this one has an ovipositor, so I am guess it's male.



And today's Backyard Bug of the Day:
Some kind of flower longhorn beetle. There are too many similar ones for me to give a specific species. On sumac.

Random Bugs:
 This moth spent about an hour last night frantically flapping in the window. When it finally calmed down I got this picture. I think it is some sort of sphinx moth.

Moths have wonderfully reflective eyes.




 Katydid

 Weevil

 Japanese beetle

 The newly hatched assassin bugs have mostly migrated to the other side of the leaf, which strikes me as a very dangerous situation, sort of an insect Mos Eisley Spaceport.

 A few still hanging out by the eggs, maybe still hatching today.

 I have seen this a lot lately, tiny moths land on a tree trunk and then scoot themselves into a crack in the bark. Usually they fly away when I try to take a picture.


 In the spring I saw a lot of craneflies, but this is the first one I have seen in a while.



 Sometimes I have to look really hard to find bugs. Some you can spot from half way across the yard, like this katydid on the side of the house.

 Young stinkbug on the sumac


FYI - The blog is about to go on a short hiatus.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 This spider came in the house on a package that came in the mail.

 This spider has only half of its legs. It's quite balanced, still, but as an ambush spider, I wonder if this affects its ability to capture prey.

 I think this spider has just moulted.

No comments:

Post a Comment