Thursday, July 30, 2015

Bugs: Hollywood's New Big Thing

I went to the movies again today (this is my preferred method of dealing with heat waves), and was amazed to find that for the second time this week I was seeing a movie in which insects were important to the plot. This time it was bees and wasps, and the movie was Mr. Holmes. I don't think I have told you anything spoilery here. And that's all I am going to say about it. Also, we have been watching a lot of Dr. Who, and in the season we are currently watching there are frequent mentions of the disappearance of the bees. I wonder where they're going with that...

It started to rain while we were out, and we had a good half inch by the time we got home, and I swear, I heard all of the trees sigh with relief.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 A fly. Yes, a fly. Because that is the only bug I found today that has not already been Backyard Bug of the Day this year.

 Another fly.

 Dragonfly. Actually, this kind of dragonfly has not been BBotD this year, but this isn't a good enough picture of it to give it that chance today.

 Stinkbug (on milkweed).

 Katydid


 I think that the wing and leg that I found yesterday were probably from this kind of katydid, but a smaller specimen.

 We'll see more of this bug in a little while...

So many ambush bugs in the backyard these days (which, I suppose, could explain the dearth of other bugs. But probably not):
 Sometimes what looks like an ambush bug...

 ... turns out to be two ambush bugs.


 I spotted this honeybee on the goldenrod, and was surprised for a second at how still it was. Then I realized that there was something about its posture that was suspicious - but I have seen bees like this before...

 It's hard to see in these pictures, but the bee has been captured, and there is not one, but two ambush bugs there. It is not clear if they are both hanging onto the bee, or if it's only one of them.


 There's an ant getting involved here, too...

 You have to look carefully to see both ambush bugs.

 On the same plant...

 Also on the same plant. Note the ant in the background here, too.

I turned on the porch light this evening to try to see a few more bugs:
 This probably would have been Backyard Bug of the Day if I hadn't already posted the fly as BBotD on facebook. It is quite a large moth probably about 2 inches from the head to the back of the wings.



 Quite a small moth - about half and inch or less. You can't really tell from the pictures that one moth is big, and another is small.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Tiny jumping spider on milkweed.

Some spider comedy:
 Remember this katydid? It had some company.

 The spider seems to have gotten it into its head that it can take on the katydid that is about a thousand times its size.

 I didn't get a picture of the right moment, but it did manage to grab onto the katydid's antenna. The katydid just looks annoyed. Of course, katydids always look annoyed. It easily pulled its antenna away from the spider, though.

Retreat.

No comments:

Post a Comment