Sunday, July 19, 2015

Ambush

Time and weather conspired against me, so I didn't get to do a full-yard bug walk, but I found a cool bug for Backyard Bug of the Day, so it's okay. It's not a new bug for me, or for the blog, I think, because I am pretty sure it was BBotD at some point last year, but it's the first time this year I have seen one, so...

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Ambush bug. And in case you're wondering, the BBotD is the larger, weird, frog-like, turtle-like, alien-like bug, not the small, dark beetle.

 Actually, I assumed that the beetle was the prey of the ambush bug, but looking closer it appears that the beetle is holding onto the ambush bug's leg, not the other way around. And it's not feeding, so... Just two bugs crossing in the night?



Let's have some fun with Blog-imation, the really low tech animation effect of toggling back and forth between two pictures to give the illusion of movement. Today's subject: A baby bunny!


Random Bugs:
 This caterpillar seems to have changed color. I don't know if it's just the lighting, or something it ate, or an illusion.



 Photobombed by a thrips.

 Several thrips

 Tree cricket

 This leaf has a brown marmorated stinkbug, a weevil, and hanging underneath, an egg. A busy leaf...

 Brown marmorated stinkbug.



No comments:

Post a Comment