Sunday, July 5, 2015

This Place Is Hopping

A couple of months ago I had to change to a new brand of shampoo because the brand I had been using for decades was no longer available. I am not happy about the change, because I really liked that shampoo, especially how nice it made my hair smell. I don't much care for the aroma of the new shampoo I have been trying, but I think the bugs do. Lately I have a lot of bugs going after my hair. It doesn't help matters that my hair is overdue for a cut, so it's long (for me. Most people would still say I have short hair), and with the humidity wild and curly. So bugs who fly into my wild mop can easily get trapped up there. So many times during my bug walks now I have to brush a bug out of my hair. It's really annoying. I may have to switch to another shampoo...

Today the backyard was really hopping with hoppers. I saw many different species, and some of them even hopped - to get away from the camera. We've had Porch Light Lepidoptera Lollapallooza, now for Hopperfest:
 Hoppers of various shapes, sizes, and colors... though green certainly is a prominent color.

 But there's blue, too!



 And multicolor! Candy striped leaf hopper

 Buffalo tree hopper



 This one looks immature - the wings aren't fully grown.


 I am not really sure that this is a hopper (or more likely, a nymph).

 But it sort of looks like one.

I found a few more different species of moths on the porch after midnight last night (I had left the light on to see if maybe the huge beetle would come back. It didn't).

Porch Light Lepidoptera Lollapalooza Continues:
 Some of these look like they would blend in perfectly on a tree trunk or amidst the leaf litter on the forest floor. They don't blend in so well on the wall of my porch.

 Looks just like tree bark!

 Looks just like a dried leaf!

 This one probably doesn't blend in so well. Except maybe on a white flower.

 I think this is the "looking for love" pose.

 I am pretty sure this one is a new one for me. It's quite small, too.

 I know these blend in pretty well with the grass, even when the grass is mostly green.


Who's On the Milkweed Today? Well, some of those hoppers were, but they weren't the only ones:
 Hey, look who's back! A small milkweed bug!




 A beetle and a plume moth


Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Assassin bug nymph

I love bugs who look like they are wearing three pairs of black and white striped socks. All the other weirdness of this bug is just a bonus after that.

Random Bugs:




 Thrips



Meadow plant bug



Young stinkbug

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I have read that some crab spiders can change their color to blend in with the plants they are on. Then again, some of them are just yellow. Either way, tiny crab spider on a black eyed Susan.


No comments:

Post a Comment