Friday, July 24, 2015

Drawing a Blank for a Title

Irony:

Trying to take a picture of a flower without a bug on it:
 Oh look. A thrips. And some other tiny thing.

Trying to take a picture of a flower with a bug on it:
 Never mind.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Tiny, delicate wasp (I think) with improbably small wings

Random Bugs:
 Japanese beetle

 While I was taking these pictures it kept making a gesture with its front leg like it was saying, "Come this way, please." I didn't go.

 Can you see the two hoppers in this picture?

 I should look this up, but I don't feel like it... Okay, I just tried to look it up and couldn't find it in my books. It could be an immature stink bug.

 Hemiptera of some kind. See the proboscis folded back under the body?

 Another one of those cases where you are taking a picture of one bug and don't notice other bugs right there...

 Young assassin

 Have you ever stared a butterfly in the eye?

 That flower is getting crowded.


 These pink flowers were very attractive to bumblebees today. I think it would have been terrifying for a person afraid of bees, but as a person not afraid of bees it was an enchanting thing to witness.

 Bees flying all around!

Hoverfly on goldenrod

 Looper caterpillar on my husband's shirt collar

Who's On the Milkweed Today?
 A bee

I have a pretty spectacular spider for you today, but if you are borderline arachnophobic you should probably skip this today. Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 First, a daddy-long-legs

Now, cool spider!
 This is the back view. It's unusual to see a spider sitting on a rock...

 Top/front view. I think it is a Spined Micrathena

 Impressive chelicerae

 View from beneath

 Sort of side view


No comments:

Post a Comment