Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Zzzzzzz...

Okay, here's the story. I am exhausted. I had to get up crazy early after barely three hours sleep, and had a really draining day, so I need to go to bed. I am going to post pictures of the two co-bugs of the day, and then I am out of here - no buds, no arachnids, nothing else. I was gone all day and was unable to actually even do a bug walk, but I used the porch light to attract some after midnight last night, knowing I wouldn't be able to do a bug walk today, and there were more when I got home tonight, so I've got some good bugs for you, even though that's all I've got.

Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #1:
 This moth is called Clymene Haploa. It's definitely one of the more striking ones I have seen.


Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #2:
This is a female fishfly. There was one flying around my room last night when I went up to go to bed, and I had to carefully catch it an send it out the window. It's wings are too long and delicate for the bug vacuum. There were a couple of them on the front porch when I got home tonight, and this particular one would settle for a couple of seconds in this pose, and then start flying around frantically, beating against the light.

 I think this is the same kind of bug, but I am not sure. It could be another species. It could be the male. It's a bit confusing.

 When they are not in a tizzy, they rest their wings like this.

 This one was more interested in the screen door, and its wings were all askew.

Here is is flying.

Now... good night! I hope to have more variety for you tomorrow.

FYI: I am expecting the butterfly in the chrysalis to eclose tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment