Monday, July 28, 2014

Shiny and New

You wouldn't think that after all this time of doing Backyard Bug of the Day I would still be finding things I have never seen before. Well, you'd probably think that if you were an entomologist, and had an idea how many species of insects there are in Connecticut, but I think in general it would be surprising that on my third summer of exploring my backyard in search of bugs that there are things I have never seen before. I have had to repeat things quite a bit this summer, but I am still finding a lot that is new.  In thinking about this it occurred to me how many bugs are out there that I am never going to see, because they spend all of their time too high in trees for me to see, or under ground, or only come out at night, but don't come to the porch light. There are whole worlds of bugs out there that I am walking right past every day without having an idea that they are there.

You are never alone in the backyard.

So, what is all of this leading up to? I found a new bug for Backyard Bug of the Day today:
I know what you're thinking, and yes, this is a unicorn. Just kidding. I have no idea what this is. Don't go around telling people it's a unicorn bug, I just made that up. It's not in my book.

I have decided to have a Backyard Bug of the Day Runner-up today:
If I get a better picture another day I'll give the full honors, but at least I didn't want to miss out if I never see it again, because this is a new one, too.

Backyard Bud of the Day:
It's really getting hard to find these...

So we've seen something new, now something old. Backyard Bug Behavior:
 Caught a larva.

That's fine, there's plenty more.

I saw another of yesterday's BBotD:
This one is on goldenrod. I know it's not the same one because the other one is still on the same flower from yesterday. I guess when you find a good spot you stick around.

Random bugs:
Cranefly



 Another caterpillar behaving in a strange manner.

 Larva

 Something growing wings.



 Look at that gorgeous color!

 Leaf hopper



I told you coneflowers were bug magnets. Extra credit if you spot the spider.

And speaking of spiders, here's one for Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.






No comments:

Post a Comment