Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Cooperation is Rewarded With Glory

July 8, 2014

I thought I knew what was going to be Backyard Bug of the Day before I even went outside. I took pictures of the bugs I wanted, and then...

I had some unexpected luck. So, here's today's Backyard Bug of the Day:
The great spangled fritillary (seriously, I am not making that up) decided to pose for me today!




Yeah, it's totally out of focus except for the tips of the antennae, but for some reason I love this picture. I didn't get a shot of the dorsal view, but I am happy with what I got.

Backyard Bud of the Day:

Bonus Bugs:


This praying mantis was devouring its prey on the front porch when we came home tonight. If the praying mantises were smart, they'd be there every night. It's a bug buffet.

Another porch bug, nestled in the grapevine wreath.

Some bonus plants, too:
 Pokeweed

Some sort of grass.

Feathers:

This one is tiny, tiny, tiny, and was stuck to the storm door when we got home, with a smudge and another feather, which may mean a bird crashed into the door. I hope not.

Here's something unusual for you:
A look at The Caterpillar's real face! (As opposed to its faux face). Those little dots are its eyes. For having so many eyes (12!), caterpillars don't have very good vision. Basically they can see light and dark, so they may see movement and general shapes, but they can't see detail.

I am going to make a promise right now that the caterpillars on the tree next to the arbor are going to be Backyard Bugs of the Day for tomorrow. There. Now that I have said that, they can't be bumped by another bug again (it's happened at least three times. I wasn't even going to LOOK for other bugs today after I photographed them, but I took a long time to find a bud, and the butterfly thing just happened, and I am pretty sure I know right where to find these caterpillars tomorrow, soooo... But I promise, tomorrow is their day).


Okay, Arachnid Appreciation!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 This one is really a Dining Room Spider of the Day.

 Based on location and size, I think this is one of the babies from the other day.





No comments:

Post a Comment