Monday, July 7, 2014

Hatchlings

I am not going to go look at the bugs on the porch... I am not going to go look at the bugs on the porch... I am not going to go look at the bugs on the porch... I am not going to go look at the bugs on the porch...

Who am I kidding, everyone knows I am going to go look at the bugs on the porch. But before I do, here is today's Backyard Bug of the Day:
This is the kind of bug I see in bug books, and think, "Man, why can't I have bugs like that in my yard?" And in this case, I do. This is a plant hopper that is perfectly disguised as a thorn. Except it is on a plant that doesn't have thorns, which is what blew its cover.

Okay, I looked, and there is nothing spectacular on the porch. The light wasn't on very long, though, and now it is off...

And speaking of hoppers:

Praying mantis caught something:
Surprisingly, it got away, though.

Do you remember this bug from a while ago?
 She seems to be infested with something (and no, I am not thinking this is the exact same bug. There are a fair few of these in my yard).

 I don't know if this is a parasite, or if she carries her young around like this. And of course this bug is not in my bug book.

Kind of gives me the heebie jeebies either way...

Speaking of young bugs, I posted a picture of some eggs a while ago that a beetle had just laid:
It looks like maybe they are eating the egg casings?

In other hatching news:
 One egg has hatched in the strawberry pot. That strikes me as somewhat odd, but there you have it, there is one baby and three eggs. I could be completely wrong about the fact that they should all hatch on the same day, or the one that has hatched could be an interloper, but I hope that is not the case. At any rate, it would be good to have them all hatched, because I don't think I can mow that part of the lawn until they all are.


The great spangled fritillary remains elusive:

And I found a tiny chrysalis/cocoon:
The net keeps the flies off.

We're getting blueberries one at a time:

Backyard Bud of the Day:
This may or may not be lamb's ear. It is very soft. A transplant from my mother-in-law's garden. I am delighted that it is not dead.

I haven't had many flowers in my yard this summer.
This was that sunflowerish plant. And now I will never know what it was going to be. BECAUSE THE DEER KEEP EATING EVERYTHING BEFORE IT CAN BLOOM!!!

I may or may not still be annoyed about the purple coneflowers.

Speaking of eating:
The Caterpillar went back for seconds last night. And then, surprise, surprise, spent all day in the hammock.

Okay, last thing - Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.






No comments:

Post a Comment