Wednesday, July 9, 2014

So Many Caterpillars

July 9, 2014

A promise is a sacred thing, so, having promised the caterpillars their day today, I am bound by honor to comply. Technically there are four Backyard Bugs of the Day today, because there are four caterpillars on the tree by the arbor, but they are all the same species (I think), so it still counts as one entity.

Backyard Bugs of the Day:
 I think these might be viceroys, but I am not sure yet.

 Obviously they are more caterpillars that look like bird poop, because after all, a great way to not be eaten by a bird is to look like something a bird would never eat. They are also covered with spikes, which may inject toxins, I am not sure about that yet. But needless to say, I am not going to touch them.

 They eat a lot more than The Caterpillar, that's for sure.



Close up of the spikes.

 In order to enhance the effect of their disguise, when they are feeling nervous they flop over the edge of what they are sitting on to look more like a carelessly deposited waste product.


Although the back end sticking up doesn't necessarily help the illusion.

 These two spend a lot of time together, and often seem to mimic each other's pose, which is weird, since they probably can't really see each other. It's also interesting that they are not the same color.

 This is their usual resting pose when they are not feeling threatened.


I wanted to post video of one of the caterpillars, but there's been a glitch.

While we're on the topic of the bugs on this tree:
There are four bugs on this branch (including the leaves). Can you see them all?

And back to the subject of caterpillars... The Caterpillar tried to make a break for it today:
 This morning it was sitting on the side of the aquarium.

 Which gave a good look at the underside. Not its best side.

 I put a screen over the top so it wouldn't get out.

 It got out anyway; I found it on the dining room table, clutching this brown paper wrapper on a picture frame. I couldn't coax it off (and I can't have it wandering the house - it might get squished and won't find food)...

... so I tore the paper off and put it on one of the leaves.

It ate a bit later, but is now back to sulking. Its hammock leaf dried up and died, and it hasn't made a new hammock.

And since we're all about the lepidoptera at the moment:
I am guessing this is a skipper. It is the biggest skipper I have seen in the yard if it is.

Backyard Bud of the Day:
 I am not even sure if this is a bud. But I am getting desperate.

Then there's this.

Shhhh! Don't tell the deer!

I think all four eggs in the strawberry pot have hatched:
 You can see the feathers that line the nest.

Note the fluff on its head.

Speaking of things that come out of eggs, how about some eggs?
I didn't get to see what had hatched from the eggs that are open.

Two exoskeletons:
 This one was shed.

I don't think this one was given up voluntarily.

And finally, Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 I like the kind of frilly edges on this daddy long legs.

And the bluish tint on this spider's cephalothorax.




No comments:

Post a Comment