Sunday, November 3, 2019

Mum's the Word of the Day

I didn't have time to do a bug walk today, so I just spent a couple of minutes around the chrysanthemums. Even though we had a freeze again last night, there were a lot of bugs on the flowers, probably the most I have seen so far. It was mostly flies, but there was a bee and a wasp, too.

I didn't choose a Backyard Bug of the Day, because there wasn't anything I felt was worthy. So, here's just a bunch of pictures of insects on flowers.

 Bee mimics are the predominant visitors to the mums. Way more mimics than actual bees. This one does a very good bee impersonation.


 Wasp

Some of them rested on the creeping myrtle for a while:


 Bumblebee

 I'm not just showing the same fly over and over (though I probably did get it more than once). There were several of these.

 The bee is covered with pollen.

 Wasp and hoverfly


 Hoverfly








No comments:

Post a Comment