Sunday, November 10, 2019

Grassy

Once again I didn't get a chance to do a bug walk, and was only able to observe the bugs near my driveway for a couple of minutes. There was one fly on the mums, and several on the side of the house. I could hear one cricket singing. Today was warmer, not warm, but after the last couple of frigid days the 40ºF at around noon when I left the house for the afternoon felt balmy. I didn't see the tree cricket on the tree by the driveway, so it either warmed up and moved on, or something ate it.

I got pictures of two arthropods today, one insect, and one arachnid, both in the grass. That's probably my least favorite place to take pictures of insects, because it's on the ground and quite far away from my eye level, and because it is very easy for insects to crawl out of sight and hide there. If a subject is unwilling, in the grass is the worst place to try to take their picture.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Woolly bear caterpillar, aka Isabella tiger moth caterpillar. Even if I could remember how the folklorish weather forecasting works, which larger segments indicate a good or bad winter coming, this one would be inconclusive. The black band in the front is wide, and the one in the back is short.
I don't even know if a woolly bear has been BBotD this year, but I don't really care.

 A rare look at a woolly bear's face.

I must immediately correct my statement from above that I didn't get pictures of any other insects today. I didn't notice it until I looked at this picture of a late-blooming dandelion that there was another insect I saw today:
 Do you see it?

 Springtail

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Just kidding. I wanted to show you the difficulties of taking pictures of tiny things in the grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment